Thursday, April 17, 2008

An Opening Salvo of Links, or, Apologies in Advance for All the Hockey

Salvo is one of those words with two very disparate meanings. The first, more well-known meaning involves fellows firing guns. The second definition is as follows:
1.an excuse or quibbling evasion.
2.something to save a person's reputation or soothe a person's feelings.

Now I bring to you, dear readers, truly, an opening salvo of sporting links, for I can't imagine anyone is ready for the sheer amount of ludicrous hockey blogging I am about to post. Here's hoping these links serve as a most soothing salve.

Sites Worth Checking Regularly:

Baseball Prospectus
Thanks to Bill James' incessant and sometimes-creepy statistical analysis, there exists a new breed of sportsfan: the sabermetrician. In similar fashion to the way the ex-geeks from high school have purchased cool, thanks to jobs in either graphic design or music journalism, the ex-team managers have overtaken the realm of being sports-savvy, thanks to huddling over stat sheets until the numbers speak to them. No longer does the ex-jock reign supreme over the watercooler. Now the guys who used to collect the aforementioned jock's laundry hold court in sports blogs and chatrooms everywhere. Despite the generally unpleasant nature of Bill James' brood, they really do know their shit. I wouldn't want to share a bathroom with these guys, though. Pubes-on-the-soap city.

Basketball Prospectus
Second verse, same as the first. This site's Ken Pomeroy deserves special mention for being a fucking genius.

Football Outsiders
Completing the holy trinity of stat-obsessed sports sites, this one is perhaps the best of the three. I think this is due, in large part, to football being less of a statistician's sport, thereby forcing some analysis that isn't completely numbers-driven.

Austin Gray's College Hoops Blog
The blog partially responsible for mine own fledgling blog, as I probably would have just continued flooding his comments page, until I realised that college basketball would soon be over. Knowing Austin, his blog will shortly begin to feature English Premier League Soccer, whatever that is, and other sports, as the guy has too much to say to keep quiet until next season.

No Mas
Austin recently introduced me to this one. Look at those shirts! Holy Moly! I know I don't wear t-shirts, but I would certainly sport that "Chief and Chong" number, whilst I grill out.

Bill Simmons

An oldie, to be sure, but Simmons still brings the goods from time-to-time. His Bostonian homer-ism can be infuriating, and he knows next to nothing about the NFL, but his NBA and MLB musings are still quite humorous.

Link Redacted
The Music City Sportsman in no form or fashion supports illegal sports wagering. (Strike that, reverse it.)

These sites have fattened and flattened my ass like no other, and misery loves company. Beware! Peruse at your own risk!

Before leaving you with one last link, I urge you to catch SportsCenter this evening. Not only is there a Todd McShay/Mel Kiper, Jr. scuffle the likes of which Sean Salisbury and John Clayton should envy, but there is the hysterical Miguel Tejada interview. Brace yourself, for Miggy's quest to remove his microphone is epic!

Here Lies The Link of The Evening:

Dan, You Ignorant Slut.

Jay Bilas takes Dan LeRetard to school over some misguided racial baiting. It's no secret that Bilas is not a man with whom to get litigious, but you can really hear his inner-lawyer/alien police officer come out in his terse dismissal of Dan's argument (in case you didn't know that Bilas was, indeed, an actual alien, here's your proof). This is Orson-Welles-Drunken-Outtakes-Level-Funny to me.

There you have it. Prepare yourself to be inundated with NHL content in the coming days. It shan't be pretty.

No comments: